(Screenshot from Tim’s Blog)
During a class discussion about Facebook yesterday, Sarah Essary and Beth Evans described the Facebook group that they use for UO’s PRSSA. Ali Grise informed us of the Facebook page that FLUX (our UO student magazine) uses.
I hopped online today and found discussions by Tim Davies and Peter Leonard (also see Peter’s second post on the topic here). I also compared several Facebook group pages with fan pages. Here’s what I’ve gathered so far.
Both groups allow you to have a wall for posts, a discussion forum, pictures, and videos. So what is different?
Advantages to Facebook Groups
- You can send messages to your members’ Facebook inboxes (update: as long as you have 1,200 5,000 members or fewer). The limit used to be 1,200.
- If you already have a Facebook group, creating a Facebook page could create confusion. (update: However, you can transfer your Facebook group to a Facebook page). You can no longer transfer your Facebook group to a Facebook page at this time.
Advantages to Facebook Pages
- Facebook pages let you measure your traffic. Hooray! You need at least 10 fans for the metrics to work. Jump down to “Metrics” on Peter Leonard’s discussion for a picture and details.
- You are locked into a set of applications on Facebook groups (e.g., wall, photos, video); however, you can create new applications for your Facebook page (such as allowing customers to buy products). There is also an events application for Facebook pages (see here for an example and click on the event).
- When your fans take action on your page, such as writing on your wall or posting a video, their actions will be documented on the news feeds of their personal pages. Their friends could see the news feeds and check out your organization.
- Ali pointed out that fan pages stand out on profiles, whereas group pages get lost in the mix. See her page for an example. Look at the left sidebar items and compare her Facebook groups with her Facebook pages.
Do you know of any other advantages or disadvantages of Facebook pages and groups?